2 medium red onions
3cm piece of ginger
4 large garlic cloves
large bunch of coriander - keep 1 tbspn for decoration
2 green chillies
1 red chilli
1 tspn sugar
large pinch salt
DRY SPICE MIX
1 tbspn fennel seeds
2 tbspn cumin seeds
2 tbspn coriander seeds
1/2 tbspn peppercorns
1 cardamon pod
1/2 tbspn kashmiri chilli powder
Approx 400g leftover cockerel
2 tbspn veg oil
1 tin whole peeled tomatoes
Rice, lime wedges and natural yoghurt to serve.
Cooking time: 1 1/2 - 2 hours
- Pre-heat the oven to 150.
- Dry fry the spices until gently warmed then pulse/grind to a powder.
- Blitz together all the paste ingredients until smooth, then add to the dry spice mix.
- Fry the mixture in the vegetable oil for 5 minutes in a large casserole dish with a tight fitting lid.
- Place the tinned tomatoes into a bowl and mush together with your hands - removing any tough centres.
- Season and mix together
- Add the tomatoes to the casserole dish and fill the empty tin with water, add this to the dish also.
- Place in the pre-heated oven or gently simmer on the stove for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until thickened and darkened in colour.
- Once the sauce is cooked add the shredded leftover cockerel and cook through.
- Sprinkle with the chopped coriander and serve with rice and a wedge of lime and natural yoghurt.