4kg (approx.) Packington Free Range Cockerel
2 tbsp chopped mixed herbs (thyme, rosemary & sage)
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp butter
Salt & Pepper
400ml Chicken stock
50ml red wine or 20ml marsalla
12 rashers streaky bacon
Cooking time: 2 hours 30 minutes approx
- Remove the cockerel from the fridge 45 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 180.
- Mix together the chopped herbs and butter, season and rub all over the cockerel. Place the garlic cloves and lemon (cut in half) inside the cavity.
- Place in a large roasting tin and put in the oven for 16 minutes per 450g/1lb, plus an extra 16 minutes or until the juices run clear. (If the cockerel is browning too much place foil lightly over the top.
- Once cooked, remove the cockerel from the oven and place on a serving plate – cover with foil to rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Make the gravy by placing the tray over a low heat – adding the red wine/marsalla and the chicken stock. Allow to come to the boil and reduce slightly. For added smoothness add 10g of butter to the gravy.
- Carve the cockerel and serve with the gravy, roast potatoes, roast sweet potatoes, red cabbage, parsnips and streaky bacon rolls.